Composite Fillings For A Seamless Smile
Cavities are a common dental condition and easily treated with fillings. If you’ve had fillings done as a child or adult, you may have had the silver or amalgam type placed. While they work well and last for many years, you may not like how noticeable they are. Whether you are replacing an old filling or have a recent cavity that needs to be treated, we now offer tooth-colored fillings made of a composite resin. They are a popular alternative to the amalgam versions because, while they are durable and help protect your tooth from further damage, they also blend in with the natural color of your tooth.
Not only are composite fillings used to repair cavities, but they are also used in cosmetic procedures such as tooth reshaping and changing the color of the tooth. Benefits of composite resin fillings also include:
- Ideal for treating small and medium-sized cavities
- Easy to reshape to give your tooth a natural appearance
- Keeping more of the tooth structure intact because the tooth doesn’t need to be filed down as much as in the case of amalgam fillings
- Can be used to enhance the color of a tooth
- Easy to repair if chipped
- Do not break down and very durable
Composite fillings are applied in a series of layers, with a special light used to harden the compound after each layer is added. The material is then shaped and polished to fit the tooth and give you natural finish and bite.
With proper dental care, composite fillings last an average of 10 years, comparable to amalgam fillings, which can also last between 10 to 15 years. If you have any questions about composite fillings, please feel free to contact our Magnolia office, and we will be happy to assist you.